Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gettin' Wiggy Wit It

Obviously the hair came off. I will not say that having a cancer conversation with a 5 and 3-year-old was easy. Both of the girls processed the news in their own way. The hair thing to them, like me, was the pressing issue.

I will say we talked, we read, we cried, we hugged, we shaved. All of us.

I sat in the bathroom on a stool and the girls each took a turn taking some off. I would like to thank my husband for his attention to detail and his steady hand. In hindsight we probably should have done a Mohawk for a little bit, but since I am hoping to never, ever have to shave my head again, I will not consider it a regret.

I will also say that I didn't look in the mirror. Not at first. I showered and saw the outline of my head reflected back in a steam-covered mirror. I caught a glimpse of myself in a reflection off of the window, but I didn't own up to it, confront it or embrace it until hours later when I finally looked.

And then I thought. . . It's been seven hours and fifteen days. . . Look, I am not going to rip up any pictures of the pope, but it is very Sinead circa 1990, and until the rest of the hair falls out I am going to try and own it.

The wig is itchy, but I told the girls that I would wear it when we are out in public. I also said that when I was home that it would probably come off. There is a time in every day when my rings come off, my bra comes off, and that my friends, is when the wig comes off.

I did wear the wig to my sister's that same day. All of a sudden you realize that it isn't just your own kids who have to be prepared. It is nieces and nephews, cousins and friends. I could tell that my sister had prepped the Wild Woman for my arrival. When we walked in the door I could see her looking at me and trying to process it. She then said, "I like, I like, I like you."

I like you too Wild Woman.


Here is a picture of me in the salon when I picked up the wig. Note how perfectly it is parted. Let me just say that I have never been able to recreate the top part and that just like when I had real hair, I am barely even brushing this thing. I feel very suburban mom in this thing. Not that I am not a suburban mom, but it seems very styled to me. Although, I do love the color. This photo doesn't do the nice warm highlights justice.


For those of you who thought we should go hot pink. Here is a pic of me and the Lady in our hot pink wigs sent to us with special care from my cousin in Chicago. Val, the Ladies couldn't have been happier! Will post a family pic of all of us in the wigs, please note that my husband's noggin is too large but I am sure we will figure something out.


Here is a pic of QT in my wig. We shaved my head when he was napping and when he woke up to my bald head he didn't even bat an eye.


6 comments:

  1. You look great in the wig but the best part is your smile! QT and The Lady don't look 1/2 bad either! :-) I'm reading/writing this from the waiting room of my mammogram. Thank you for being such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check those boobies Lady! Don't want anyone else I know and love to have to go through this. Thanks so much for all your love and support!

      Delete
  2. My daughter Alison has spoken of you so often. You will be in our thoughts and prayers until you beat this thing..and you will !
    If your parents are still around please extend our best wishes. Been there and done that..probably the worst period of our lives, but here we are with Alison et al. in New Zealand FIVE years later !!
    I really think a good sense of humor and fighting spirit will help you along. Some say laughter really IS good medicine.
    Many many good thoughts will be coming your way regularly.
    Fond Regards, Lawrence Roth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Alison is an inspiration to me and has been such a great friend and ally in this battle. Enjoy NZ and those super cute boys!! Thank you so much for the support and prayers!

      Aileen

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing everything you are going through..i have to say that if i was going through this id hope id be dealing with it just like you. You are so strong and real about everything! You and your family are in my thoughts in prayers. And you look pretty awesome in the wig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. Thanks for reading and for all the thoughts and prayers. I hope your family is well!

      Delete