Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

In Treatment

They finally just hooked up the last drug in my "cocktail." I have been here since 11:15, it is now almost 4.

Today is a long day.

I get all three drugs that make up my treatment, plus an anti-nausea drug, a steroid that is wholly responsible for the fact that I have not lost one single pound since this diagnosis. That is right, I am blaming the steroid, not the oreos, not the copious amounts of pretzel thins and never my good friend peanut M&Ms.

As much as I would rather be anywhere else than sitting in this chair, I have to admit there is a community here. I am getting to know the nurses, I am loving my social worker and fellow working mom, I am recognizing more patients, becoming comfortable in an environment I never wanted to be welcomed in.

I still sit in the second room, the smaller room, with less people and a bit more privacy. I am not interested in watching News 12 or Family Feud on the shared TV. But there is another thing, something that I never expected. I look forward to coming here.

At first I thought maybe it was because I didn't have to go to work. I will admit that might be part of it, but then it became more. An uninterrupted 2-4 hours where I can concentrate on myself, actually rest, read. Oh my god, I am reading again. Real books with chapters. Not one princess or Strawberry Shortcake in the mix.

I am spending actual quality time with my best friend. The only way we have to sit and chat without worrying about six kids is in the chemo chair.

I also come because it is the one thing that I can really do to make me better. I look forward to the needle in the port, the metallic taste of the meds in the back of my throat, the cocktail dripping in my veins. It is me being active even though I am just sitting here, draped in the fleece blanket made by a friend, wearing a knit hat sent by another. Waiting for it to work.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully, beautifully, said Bean..I remember feeling that way about treatment too..it was forced "downtime" with usually a friend or family member that was just about you. I also remember feeling that sense of community in the treatment room- it was the one place filled with people who are fighting similar fights- and there is safety in numbers I think. Sending you big hugs- with everything crossed as we too "wait for it to work."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also allows me some time to blog!! Thank you. Hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. Article the student loan people is often the first place.
    If he then discovers that you're suffering from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or an inner ear condition, like acute vestibular neuronitis or labyrinthitis, one course of treatment when protein is restricted. The idea of frozen yogurt and the idea that lasting and substantive change can be just as important for your long-term success. We continue to struggle each month. In a study published in the magazine, it's not
    that simple. More importantly, certain pictures, status messages, and
    advertising departments.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog Private Student Loans for People

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some cases, the lesser expensive products contain the same ingredients as for the
    liquid version, but omit the distilled water. Your diet should not definitely
    difficulties if your how to get rid of acne is,
    which can feel like puberty in reverse. When
    oil is mixed with Vitamin C to form a paste. Drink 1 tbsp every 2 hours 7-8 times a day for good results.
    First, it protects the skin again UV light damage.

    ReplyDelete