Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Results

Here's when you cry

In the car on the way home from work with the radio loud and the dark winter night as cover.

Here's when you cry

In the shower on a Sunday when you have five minutes to yourself and even though the kids keep popping in you know you can hide behind the curtain and camouflage your tears with the shower spray.

Here's when you cry

In bed at night after your husband's breathing has become low and slow and you think about what a great dad he is and pray that he never has to do it alone.

Here's when you cry

When you see your kids in your rear view mirror and realize you can't miss one minute of their life, not high school, or college or first grade.

Here's when you cry

In the hallway outside your office on an October afternoon when the surgeon who did your breast biopsy calls and says cancer, before you go back to your desk and work for the rest of the day.

Here's when you cry

In a small examining room mid-November when the doctor says the word metastatic.

Here's when you cry

In the passenger seat of your minivan, on a foggy January afternoon, clutching your husband's hand and a printout of your PET scan results that say words like "illiac" and "acetabulum" and "hypermetabolic" and even though you have to google the words you know what it also says is:

Findings consistent with a significant response to therapy
Significantly decreased activity in the right breast
Right axillary/subpectoral lymph nodes and osseous structures no longer appear hypermetabolic

It says it is working and those are tears of relief and the only thing you can do is cry.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am just happy for a bit of good news, finally.

      Delete
  2. I literally sat down to read this post and now I'm jumping for joy for you! So happy to hear the good news everyone has been praying for. Keep it coming! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty excited myself. I did a little fist pump/leg kick in the drs. office!

      Delete
  3. We never said two words to each other in high school, but I've been following along and pulling for you. What great news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I totally appreciate the comments and thank you for reading. Now, I think we have more than two words between us!

      Delete
  4. Here's when you cry

    After you read this,to thank God and to ask him to keep answereing our prays for you.My heart runith over Bean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crying reading this..so happy to hear this news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aileen, your blog is always so moving and beautiful. You're such a great writer...I am so happy that the results were good! Sending lots of love and prayers your way from a fellow Loyola alum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aileen, your blog is awesome...you are awesome...you go girl--and never, never, never stop! Ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear the good news!! I got chills reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to be able to share something good! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. wow... heartbreaking post that ended with wonderful news. all our love and prayers to you, aileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody,

      Thanks so much for your ongoing support. I totally appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. Yes! Have been thinking about you all week and wondering what the results were. Awesome news! Love you, A! Talk to you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling so relieved right now. Love you too!

      Delete
  11. Great news, you just hit the Maryland House. Next stop Clara Barton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I love this comment. Totally made my day!

      Delete
  12. I went to high school with your older sister. I don't know how I originally found your blog, but I want you to know I've stopped in from time to time to see how you were doing. I was shocked and saddened by the original post, but am crying tears of joy for you and your family with this latest post.

    Lots of love, luck, and healing,

    Rachael Schoenbaum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachael. I am so appreciative of all the love and support coming my way.

      Delete